Vérité offers a unique setting for individuals and groups that are searching for living, working examples of alternatives to the conventional approaches to life on this planet.
Vérité features sustainable infrastructure, alternative energy (principally solar), a community-based Guest House, organic garden, orchard and kitchen, and facilities for workshops, classes, retreats and other programs.
Located near the Matrimandir and Kottakarai village, the Guest House offers a variety of accommodations for 30 guests (or groups of up to 20), ranging from capsule huts to bath-attached rooms.
Since its inception in 1985, Vérité has emphasized ecological concerns, health and wellness, spiritual practice and community building in its efforts to develop into a center for integral living and learning.
Vérité offers varied individual guest rates (depending upon the season and type of accommodation); all include three delicious vegetarian, organic meals per day, laundry service, and the contribution to Auroville. Group rates vary with the season and also include use an orientation tour and use of program/meeting spaces.
Vérité’s entire campus is a “positive health” zone, free of smoking, alcohol and drugs. The solar electricity system means Vérité is free from India’s infamous power cuts, but it is also a place to “unplug”: there are no televisions, mobile phones are used only in designated areas, and to reduce radiation exposure, internet is intentionally not wireless.
The atmosphere in Vérité is much more like an “eco-home-stay” than a hotel:
- accommodations are simple rooms with fans, some have attached bathrooms, but most are with shared (detached) bathroom facilities
- a guest lounge with kitchenette, phone, and fairly reliable internet connection (bring your own laptop) is open 24/7
- throughout the campus, we keep “quiet times” between 9 pm and 7 am
- we are environmentally conscious community living on alternative and renewable sources of energy, so there is no use of hair dryers, immersion rods or other high-consuming electrical appliances (laptops, cameras and small devices like i-Pods are fine)
- hot water is available, but by bucket from a solar water heater near the bathrooms
- we all eat together, buffet-style, in the community kitchen, where the food is vegetarian, organic, and delicious!
- everyone helps out, taking care of their own room and dishes
- we’re helpful with special needs, but please don’t expect room service
- our simple, healthy lifestyle means there is no smoking, no alcohol and no illegal drugs allowed anywhere on the premises
More details about Vérité
The combination of Verite’s health-oriented guest house and programming facilities makes it an appealing place for groups that want both a “home base” from which they can explore Auroville and conducive space for their collective work.
Vérité has a long history of hosting student groups from academic institutions. In addition, many other learning groups have come with their own faculty to study yoga, massage, sustainability, architecture, dance, meditation, etc.
For more information, please see the Vérité website: www.verite.in
>> Weekly programs in Verite'